Notes About The Macaroni And Cheese With Tuna Recipe:
- This tuna mac and cheese recipe calls for elbow macaroni, but any pasta will do. Cook according to package directions.
- You could make this cheesy tuna mac a complete meal by adding frozen peas. Add them at the same step as the tuna, and they will cook quickly.
- A fun change-up would be using white cheese melt .
- Stove top tuna mac calls for tuna packed in oil. You could absolutely use solid albacore tuna or tuna packed in water. I would drain any tuna packed in water first.
- Looking for a more traditional macaroni and cheese sans tuna? Try our skillet mac and cheese for a classic side dish!
Why Should You Cook This Recipe
- Super-quick: Really, it all comes down to how fast the pasta water cooks, and you can speed that up by starting with already hot water.
- Only one pot to clean. Cook the pasta and mix it with the rest of the ingredients in the same pot.
- Kids favorite: If your young children are not into fish yet, they will love it after eating this tuna mac and cheese.
- No box: Why use boxed macaroni when all there is to the recipe is stirring a few cheap pantry ingredients?
How To Reheat Mac And Cheese
Leftover mac and cheese tuna casserole can be successfully reheated the next day. Although you will lose some of the creaminess from the cheese, it is still a delicious dish when reheated.
It can be heated in the microwave or oven. To reheat mac and cheese in the microwave, place it in a microwavable bowl and heat it on high for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. To reheat mac and cheese in the oven, preheat the oven and bake it at 350°F for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Shrimp Fry Batter
How To Make Mac And Cheese Tuna Casserole
This homemade mac and cheese tuna casserole is high in protein and incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen, you can have a delicious and filling meal that the whole family will love.
Tuna is an excellent source of protein, and when combined with macaroni and cheese, it makes a hearty and satisfying dish. This casserole is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal that will be ready in under an hour.
- Prep time 15 minutes.
How To Make Tuna Mac And Cheese On The Stovetop
Don’t Miss: Fish Sandwich At Mcdonald’s
How To Make Tuna Mac And Cheese
If you’ve ever made homemade mac and cheese before, this recipe will be very familiar to you. And if you haven’t, you’ll learn how easy it is to make your own mac and cheese at home!
To start, you’ll want to preheat your oven to 400 degrees and lightly butter or oil a 9×13 baking dish.
I like to boil and drain my pasta before doing anything else because then I can re-use the pot for the rest of the cooking and dirty fewer dishes. I use the time the pasta is boiling to chop the onion and garlic and to grate the cheese.
So, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add pasta and boil until al dente. When it’s done cooking, drain the pasta and keep in colander so you can use pot for the cheese sauce.
Now, melt the butter in the pot you cooked the pasta in over medium heat. Once melted, pour 2 Tbsp into a medium bowl and set aside .
Add onion to butter and cook for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
Now you’ll make the roux, which is essential to any great mac and cheese!
Add flour to the butter and onions in the pot and whisk for a minute, without letting flour darken.
Now, slowly whisk in the milk and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer, before reducing heat to medium-low and letting simmer for 2-3 minutes to thicken a bit.
Remove saucepan from the heat and add in both cheeses, paprika, dried parsley, 1 ½ tsp salt, and pepper.
So much deliciousness!
Whisk until sauce is nice and smooth.
Toss to combine pasts with the cheese sauce and tuna.
How To Make Tuna Macaroni And Cheese: Step By Step
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Combine milk and water in large stockpot or large, deep sided pan . Bring to a gentle boil.
Step 2: When milk/water boil, add macaroni, garlic powder and salt. Boil 7-8 minutes until pasta is al dente. Stir OFTEN so pasta doesnt stick to the bottom of the pan.
Step 3: Turn heat to low and stir in butter and cheese. Stir, stir until smooth and creamy. Note: You DO NOT drain the pasta! The starch from the pasta will help thicken and create the cheese sauce.
Step 4: Last, fold in green peas and tuna.
Step 5 : In a small bowl, combine melted butter, Ritz crackers and Parmesan cheese. Add cracker topping to the dish and broil for 3-4 minutes until nicely browned. Note: If you arent using an oven safe pan, just transfer the tuna mac and cheese to an oven proof baking dish.
Recommended Reading: Bahia De Los Angeles Fishing
Mac And Cheese Tuna Casserole
This mac and cheese tuna casserole is a simple one pot meal that the whole family will enjoy. With frugal and tasty coming together for this cheesy and easy tuna noodle recipe.
This tuna macaroni casserole mixture is often referred to as “poor man’s tuna noodle casserole” because it’s a cheaper way of getting similar results to the real deal cheesy tuna noodle casseroles you’d expect. I mean, boxed macaroni is cheap and I think this entire pot costs me less than $5 to make, so I can see how the name might stick.
If you’re looking for a simple one pot meal, this macaroni and cheese with tuna and peas recipe really hits the spot. With cheesy goodness in every bite, bursting fresh peas, and bits of tuna, this dish is tasty and very easy to prepare too!
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
Tuna Mac And Cheese Recipe Tips:
- If you dont like corn and peas, omit them and add half a cup of any frozen vegetable you prefer.
- For our recipe, we used the cheap boxed mac and cheese. Feel free to use a different version. But, if the brand you choose has a liquid cheese sauce, then omit the butter and milk.
- You can store tuna mac and cheese, in your fridge, in a sealed container for up to 3-days.
Read Also: 2 Spring Street Oyster Bay
Stovetop Southwest Tuna Mac And Cheese
A Southwest-inspired version of tuna mac and cheese with taco seasoning, black beans, yellowfin tuna and plenty of cheese. This creamy, spicy tuna mac and cheese recipe comes together in just 30 minutes and is packed with protein. Perfect for weeknight dinners, game day or anytime you have a comfort food craving!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my policy page.
Raise your hand if you loveeeee mac and cheese.
As a kid, my Dad would always make me macaroni and cheese made with sharp or white cheddar, plus LOTS and lots of pepper. If I were lucky, he would add peas
Now that Im into full-on #adulting, I LOVE when my mac and cheese is packed with anything just a little bit unique: truffle mac and cheese, vegan mac and cheese, mac and cheese with a Ritz cracker topping, mac and cheese with brussels, BUFFALO cauliflower mac, or even a classic broccoli cheddar mac and cheese. Can mac and cheese be its own food group yet?
I thought Id bring you another unique twist on mac and cheese that Im absolutely in love with: Southwest tuna mac and cheese with spicy flavors and unique umami flavor. Trust me, I know that it sounds a little crazy, but I promise you its one of the BEST mac and cheese recipes youll ever make.
Easy Tuna Mac And Cheese
|sea salt and freshly ground black pepper|
Why buy it in a box? Serve this hearty, healthy homemade version for supper tonight.
1 Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
2 WHITE SAUCE Heat the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour to form a paste. Stir for 1 minute, add the milk and beat with a hand mixer to create a thick, smooth sauce. Season with salt, pepper and the mustard powder. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 3 minutes or until done. Cover the sauce with clingfilm.
3 MACARONI AND TUNA Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions until just done and drain.
4 Heat the oil and fry the spring onions until soft. Add the tuna along with its oil.
5 Transfer the macaroni to an ovenproof dish and spoon the tuna mixture on top. Stir the white sauce well and pour over the tuna. Gently mix the white sauce and tuna. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until done.
Read Also: Salmon Patty Recipes With Canned Salmon
Tuna Melt Mac & Cheese From A Box
Tuna melt mac and cheese from a box is a cross between the classic cheesy pasta dish and tuna noodle casserole. This hearty recipe is a family favorite that can be on your table in minutes.
Im about to blow your mind.
Kraft mac and cheese is delicious on its own, but how would you feel if I told you I could make it into the best tuna casserole youve ever had?
Mind blown, right?
Thats exactly what this tuna melt mac and cheese is- a doctored up box of Kraft mac and cheese.
Weve reinvented it to create a take on a classic that tastes better than both plain old mac and boxed Tuna Helper.
How To Make This
You May Like: Is Atlantic Salmon Farm Raised
Stovetop Mac And Cheese With Tuna And Peas
A quick and easy kid-friendly pasta recipe, this Stovetop Mac and Cheese with Tuna and Peas is sure to be a family favorite weeknight dinner!
Sometimes you just need a good, comfort meal to please the kids and make your evening less stressful. My Mac and Cheese with Tuna and Peas keeps everyone feeling full and satisfied, while adding some healthier components to make sure everyone is getting the nutrients they need. Homemade stovetop mac and cheese is one the easiest and most versatile recipes youll ever learn. We love changing up our mac and cheese with various mix-ins like pureed winter squash, pumpkin or cauliflower, or like this recipe, peas!
How To Make Tuna Mac:
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
- Cook elbow macaroni in a medium saucepan according to package directions.
- Drain water add the pasta back to the saucepan.
- Cube cheese melt , and add to the macaroni. Add milk. Over medium-low heat, stir constantly until the cheese is completely melted.
- Add butter, garlic salt and black pepper and stir until butter is melted.
- Add undrained tuna, and stir. Serve hot.
Don’t Miss: Red Lobster In Indianapolis Indiana
More Comfort Food Recipes:
- Cook pasta al dente. Drain well. Return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, grate the cheese, stir the sauce, and drain the tuna while the pasta cooks.
- Whisk milk, flour, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Combine: Pour the sauce over the noodles. Heat gently for less than a minute stirring continuously until the sauce thickens slightly .
- Add the grated cheese and stir until the cheese melts. Add the flaked tuna and mix gently.
- Adjust the taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Customize Your Tuna Mac And Cheese
This easy tuna mac and cheese is great for customizing to your taste preferences and what you have on hand! Heres what I can recommend:
- Go gluten free: simply use your favorite gluten free pasta shape like this one, as well as gluten free all purpose flour.
- Try it dairy free: instead of cheese you could add my cashew cheese sauce for a dairy free option.
- Add some veggies: feel free to fold in veggies like peas mushrooms, chopped bell pepper, or even diced jalapeño.
Also Check: Lobster Dinner For Two Delivered
How To Make Stovetop Mac And Cheese With Tuna And Peas
Start your stovetop mac and cheese by bringing a salted pot of water to a boil, then cook your pasta according to package instructions.
While the pasta is cooking, in another large pot melt your butter to start your roux.
Then add in the flour, salt, and pepper and whisk until it is fully absorbed into the butter.
Next add the milk and bring to a boil, continuing to whisk occassionally.
Stir in the cheese until fully melted, then remove from heat.
Pour the finished cheese sauce over the strained pasta.
Then add in the drained tuna fish.
And your fresh or frozen peas. Stir until combined and warmed through.
Serve and enjoy your Stovetop Mac and Cheese with Tuna and Peas!
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 If you make the macaroni and tuna salad ahead of serving time, take it out of the refrigerator for a few minutes to take the chill off. If the salad seems dry , stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons milk or half-and-half to moisten.
- tip 2 Stir in a handful of coarsely chopped parsley just before serving macaroni salad with tuna to brighten the color and flavor.
- tip 3 It’s easy to customize this macaroni tuna salad recipe based on your preferences. Replace tuna with the same amount of chunk chicken, pink salmon or ham to make a delicious salad that works nicely with the mayo dressing spiked with pickle relish, or try 1 to 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard instead of the relish.
- tip 4 Macaroni-shaped pasta is tailor-made for salads because it wont fall apart when mixed up with other ingredients. Try other short, sturdy pastas for picnics or potlucksfusilli, shells, or rotini.
You May Like: Easy Tuna Salad Recipe With Mayo
How To Make Tuna Mac And Cheese:
Basically, all your need to do is put 6-cups of water into a medium saucepan. You can add a pinch of salt to the water to flavor the noodles. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat.
After that, dump in the box of dry noodles and the frozen peas and corn. Then, let everything cook for about 7-minutes or until the noodles are soft. Drain the water.
Now, open the can of tuna and drain it. Add it to the pan of cooked noodles and veggies.
Last, stir in the butter, milk, and dry cheese packet. The dish should be warm and creamy.
Thats it, your stove-top tuna mac and cheese is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best
Easy Tuna Mac N Cheese
I dont know about yall . but sometimes, I need quick meals. Its really not optional. Saying that our life is busy, is an understatement. Im sure many of yall have a similar sort of chaos at your house! I personally dont think theres anything wrong with taking shortcuts every now and then- and this Easy Tuna Mac n Cheese is one of those meals that I turn to when time is short.
This dinner idea gets a quick start with the blue box Mac n Cheese ya know the stuff that most kids love! Add some canned tuna, peas and a little extra Cheddar cheese and youve got yourself a kid-approved meal. And the best thing?! It uses things you probably already have in your pantry and fridge!
When I was a kid, I had an aunt who used to watch my brothers and I. One of the things I remember her making for us, is this dish probably because of how easy and affordable it is and the fact that most kids love mac n cheese! I hope yall enjoy, too!
You May Like: Bumble Bee Pink Salmon Recipes