Solution #: Get Dry To Stay Moist
We like moist food. We want our shrimp to be juicy. But there’s a difference between surface moisture and internal moisture. Internal moisture is what we’re really after. For the exterior, we actually want the exact opposite. Browning reactions can’t take place until surface moisture has evaporated, and it takes an awful lot of energy to evaporate that moisture. When you place a damp skewer full of shrimp on the grill, for at least the first several minutes, you’re waiting for surface moisture to evaporate. All the while, the interiors of those shrimp are getting hotter and hotter, thus expelling more moisture, which then has to be evaporated again, thus exacerbating the problem.
Fact is, if you want shrimp that stay moist inside, they have to start dry outside. Carefully blotting them with paper towels helps, but there’s an even better solution. After skewering my shrimp, I lay the skewers over the edges of a baking dish so that the shrimp are completely elevated. I then place the whole thing, uncovered, in the refrigerator for an hour. Good air circulation means the shrimp dry out rapidly.
When I’m ready to grill, I brush the shrimp with some olive oil and place them over the highest possible heat, pressing down on them slightly to ensure good contact with the grill grates.
Serious Eats / J. Kenji López-Alt
Serious Eats / J. Kenji López-Alt
They may be shrimps, but as far as flavor is concerned, they’re giants.
To Broil Shrimp Kabobs
- Preheat the broiler and place the shrimp skewers on an oiled pre-heated baking tray.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes per side, or until the shrimp are no longer grey instead pink and opaque. Theyre ready to flip when the top of the shrimp has turned pink.
The power of your broiler may mean you have to adjust the cooking times. Since this process is so quick, though, I recommend watching them the first time that way, youll know for next time.
Make In The Air Fryer
Read Also: Recipe For Bourbon Glazed Salmon
Solution #: Dont Peel Off
What if messing about with sugar and marinades isnt the solution? One surefire way to guarantee juicier, more tender shrimp is to cook them with their shells still intact. Those shells act as a temperature buffer, helping to keep the meat from overcooking while developing plenty of flavor in the shells themselves.
Serious Eats / J. Kenji López-Alt
Personally, I like being served shell-on shrimp. Those shells give a ton of flavor to the meat, and if youre feeling bold, you can go ahead and eat the grilled shells as they are. But shelling shrimp as you eat them can be a messy-fingered affair. Nothing wrong with that per se, but there had to be a solution that could work for those who only want to use a fork.
Grilled Spicy Bbq Chicken Skewers
The recipe states that these barbecue chicken skewers will make you want to lick your fingers, and we totally back the statement. The absolute juiciness and tenderness in every bite is brought by some chicken thigh meat thats further marinated in BBQ sauce. It gets served ready when grilled and topped with some more sauce.
Also Check: Fancy Feast Medleys Wild Salmon Primavera
Other Ways To Cook Shrimp Skewers
No grill, or too cold out to bother? You can still make these shrimp skewers.
- Broiler: Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and arrange your assembled shrimp skewers on the sheet. Broil about 5 inches away from the heat for about 2 minutes on each side or until they’re cooked through.
- Grill pan: Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil in a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the skewers, in batches if necessary, for about 2 minutes on each side or until they’re cooked through.
How To Grill Shrimp Skewers
Heres how to grill shrimp skewers. Theyre easy. Theyre fast. And theyre sure to become your new favorite recipe.
Recommended Reading: Redlobster All You Can Eat Shrimp
Wood Or Metal Skewers
Firstly youll need to select your skewers. They can be either metal or wood and there are pros and cons for each.
Flat stainless steel metal skewers are the most reliable as they discourage the food from spinning round each time you turn them on the grill. They should be ideally about 12 inches long. Metal skewers are also re-usable, making them an environmentally friendly choice.
Wood skewers and particularly bamboo skewers are popular and cheap but with one big downside they burn easily. They need to be soaked in water for at least thirty minutes first until saturated to prevent them from burning on the grill.
Tips For Grilling Shrimp
You May Like: Town Of Oyster Bay Golden Age Housing
Why Its The Best Shrimp Seasoning
The seasoning blend in this recipe is based on our Magic Seafood Seasoning. It really is magical! It brings the very best flavor to grilled salmon and shrimp. Here we simplified it a bit so that you dont have to mix up a whole batch: it works for 1 pound of shrimp. You can use it for cooking shrimp on the stove, too! A few notes on ingredients:
- Smoked paprika is a Spanish smoked version of sweet paprika. It might also be labeled as pimentón at your local grocery. It brings in the best smoky flavor!
- Celery seed brings in just the right herby essence its evocative of Old Bay seasoning. Grab a jar and you can also use it for our famouschickpea salad sandwiches.
Pairing Grilled Shrimp Skewers With Wine Or Beer
Many people enjoy grilled shrimp skewers with a glass of white wine or beer. If youre pairing them with wine, the fattiness of the shrimp will pair well with a Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay. Below herere a few tips for pairing grilled shrimp skewers with beer or wine.
1. If youre using the spicy seasoning on your shrimp skewers, pair them with a sweeter wine to balance out the heat. Because shrimp is a relatively light protein, you dont want to pair it with a heavy red wine.
2. For a more neutral flavor, pair grilled shrimp skewers with a light beer such as a lager or pilsner. On the other hand, if youve used a bolder seasoning on your shrimp, pair them with a dimmer beer like a stout or porter.
3. You can also pair grilled shrimp skewers with a fruity wine such as a Riesling or Moscato. The sweetness of the wine complements the shrimp nicely.
4. If you want to keep things light, pair grilled shrimp skewers with a sparkling wine or Champagne. The bubbles can cleanse your palate in between bites.
Recommended Reading: Tuna Salad No Mayo Recipe
How To Make Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Once you know the basics of working with skewers, theres not much to this recipe! Here are the basic steps:
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat: thats 375 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Soak the skewers! Make sure to soak once you start preheating: this should make for just enough soak time .
- Season the shrimp. Pat the shrimp dry, add olive oil and the shrimp seasoning.
- Thread on skewers. Use our notes above for best practices on skewering technique.
- Grill 1 to 2 minutes per side. Thats it!
Read Also: Where Can I Buy Green Mountain Grills
Honey Garlic Bacon Wrapped Chicken Kabobs
Is there anyone who wouldnt fall in love with these chicken tenders that are beautifully wrapped in bacon and smothered in a rich layer of honey lime sauce? The kabobs feature a tender and super moist texture brought by the honey garlic sauce that oozes flavor in each bite.
Why chicken tenders? While they come from the same area of the bird, there are some differences between chicken tenderloin and breast. Tenders are a thin cut of chicken that comes from alongside the breast. They are much smaller and tender, so dont take as long to cook.
Don’t Miss: Best Place For Lobster In Portland Maine
Bbq Shrimp Skewers In The Oven
No grill, no problem.
You can make this recipe in an oven by marinating and skewering the shrimp as the recipe calls for. Just line the bbq shrimp on a baking sheet lined with foil and place in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 7 to 12 minutes, flipping once halfway through cook time.
Want more delicious shrimp recipe inspiration? Try some of my favorite recipes
- Cajun Grilled Shrimp Tacos
- New Orleans BBQ Shrimp
- Cajun Seafood Enchiladas
If youve tried this Meatball Stroganoff Recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please dont forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! FOLLOW Along on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on and .
How To Grill Shrimp Skewers:
- Combine Marinade ingredients Whisk together all the ingredients except for the shrimp in a medium size.
- Add Shrimp Place the shrimp in the large bowl and toss and coat with marinade.
- Refrigerate Shrimp Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours. While the shrimp is marinading, soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare Grill Preheat a gas grill over medium high heat . Then skewer the shrimp gently onto the wooden skewers.
- Cook Shrimp Once you have thread the shrimp, place the skewers directly on the hot grill. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Serve and Enjoy Serve immediately while warm and enjoy! Top with chopped parsley.
You May Like: Chef Jenn Shrimp Skillet Sauce Mix
How To Grill Shrimp Without Skewers:
If you prefer you can grill shrimp without skewers. Here are some of our favorite ways:
- Blackstone Grilled Shrimp If you have a Blackstone Griddle, then try grilling shrimp on it. They large cooking surface cooks the shrimp perfect with a nice crispy texture.
- Grilled Shrimp in Foil Grill Shrimp Foil Packets are so quick and easy and fun to make. You can change the seasoning or add in vegetables to make it a complete meal.
- Garlic Parmesan Shrimp Recipe These grilled shrimp are the perfect weeknight meal to make. It takes minutes on the grill and the garlic parmesan topping, make this meal so delicious.
Ingredients For Grilled Shrimp Skewers:
1/2 cup unsalted butter 4 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced 1 Tbsp cajun spice 1/2 tsp salt 1 Tbsp lemon juice 2 lbs uncooked large shrimp , peeled and deveined * 12 medium wooden skewers *Note: To save time, you can buy tail-on shrimp that are already peeled and deveined. We purchased shrimp at Costco
Recommended Reading: Christner’s Prime Steak & Lobster
Finishing Touchesjalapeo Pesto Sauce For Grilled Shrimp Skewers & Serving
With the shrimp skewers grilled, all thats really left to do is serve them & enjoy, though you can add a few special touches to take them totally over the top.
First, a sauce! Grilled protein begs for a bright + zippy sauce to go with it, & these shrimp skewers are no exception. I like pairing them with a quick & easy jalapeño pesto, made with pistachios, cilantro, & plenty of lime juice.
If youve never tried jalapeño pesto before, it has a similar richness as Genovese-style basil pesto, thanks to those pistachios, & it also has awesome bright flavor & a nice kick of spice. Control the heat by deseeding the jalapeño, though if youd like something a little more mild try this chimichurri instead another PWWB fave!
A Quick Side & Serving Suggestions:
Grilled Corn Salsa A simple add-on, especially since the grill is already on! Lightly coat 3 ears of sweet corn with avocado oil, & grill a few minutes per side until charred. Slice the kernels from the cob, & finely dice 1/2red onion& 1 medium jalapeño. Add everything to a small bowl with a handful of roughly chopped cilantro. Stir & season with freshly squeezed limejuice, salt& ground black pepper to taste. The perfect easy side for jalapeño pesto shrimp skewers!
- Category:Main Dishes, Appetizer Recipes
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
If you want to really impress at the next block party, these are the skewers to make.
What Goes In Making Spicy Grilled Shrimp Recipe
- Shrimp: Use fresh shrimp which are peeled and deveined. Refer to this video to know how to devein shrimp. If you use froze shrimp, thaw it first before marinating and then use them in grilling.
- Grilled shrimp marinade: To make a spicy marinade for grilling shrimp, I have used some paprika, black pepper powder, garlic powder, olive oil, lemon juice and salt. I have added few chopped parsleys for garnish.
How do you cook shrimp on a skewer?
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for minimum 30 minutes.
- Add shrimp to a mixing bowl and add paprika, black pepper powder, garlic powder, lemon juice, finely chopped parsley, olive oil and salt and mix well.
- Keep aside to marinade for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Thread the shrimp on skewers one by one.
- Heat the cast iron grill pan and brush with oil.
- Place the shrimp skewers on the grill, so the shrimp touch each other and grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, till the shrimp is cooked and turns pink and opaque.
- Garnish with finely chopped parsley and serve hot.
Also Check: Used Lobster Tennis Ball Machine
How Long Do You Grill Shrimp On Skewers
Shrimp cook very quickly, so its imperative to watch your shrimp to make sure they dont overcook. Shrimp typically take about 2-3 minutes per side on the grill. Youll be able to tell when the shrimp are done because theyll turn pink and opaque.
You can use an outdoor grill, grill pan, or broiler to make these shrimp skewers. I typically use my outdoor grill, but when the weather isnt nice or I dont feel like firing up the grill, I cook the shrimp on the stove top in my favorite grill pan.
I use the largest shrimp I can find for this recipe. Shrimp are labeled based on their size count, or the number of shrimp you get per pound. These shrimp are the jumbo size shrimp, which are 16-20 per pound. You can go smaller if need be and the recipe will still be delicious.
Whenever I post shrimp recipes, I always get asked if the shrimp tails should be left on or removed. I typically keep the tails on when Im looking for a nicer presentation. Its really a matter of personal preference whether you leave the tails on or remove them before grilling.
Why You Should Make This Recipe
Grilled shrimp skewers are a show-stopping meal that will have everyone craving more.
I love it because its:
- Perfect for summer grilling for a super quick and healthy dinner.
- Versatile as they can be used as a base for salads, bowls and more!
- Easy to make with a basic seasoning or next level marinade.
You May Like: Shrimp Kabob Recipes On The Grill