The Best Way To Cook Salmon Is Also The Easiest
No more dry fish.
Salmon always seems like a good idea. You know it’s a strong source of protein. You know that it contains massive amounts of all those heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids everyone is always talking about. And you know that there are a few times that youve ordered salmon at a restaurant and it tasted pretty delicious.
Should You Remove The Skin
This recipe offers a lot of versatility in preparation. To keep things quick and easy, I leave the skin on if it hasnt already been trimmed off at the store. You can remove the salmon skin in just minutes if desired. Its a simple technique to master.
As the proteins in the fish cook during baking, it will be easy to separate the skin later by using a spatula. I dont eat the skin because it will be very chewy and soft, not like a pan-seared salmon that is delightfully crispy.
Cant Find A 25 Lb Fillet Heres What To Do:
Salmon fillets come in all shapes in sizes. A fillet refers to half a salmon and can range from 1.5 5 lbs.
If you cant find a large salmon fillet, you can always use salmon portions, which just refers to cut-up pieces of a large salmon fillet. I suggest placing them right next to each other to mimic a larger salmon filet so that you can use the same bake time we recommend.
If you can only find a salmon fillet thats less than 2.5 lbs., simply decrease the bake-time. Start with 20 minutes and go from there.
Also Check: Eddie V’s Prime Seafood El Segundo
How To Make Sure Your Salmon Is Moist And Tender
There are a few things you can do to make sure your salmon comes out moist and tender.
1. Make sure you are using fresh salmon. Frozen salmon can be more difficult to cook evenly and can often result in dry, overcooked fish.
2. Dont overcook your salmon. As we mentioned before, it is better to err on the side of caution and cook it for less time, rather than more.
3. Use an oven-safe cooking thermometer to check the internal temperature of your salmon. It should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 F degrees.
Note: If youre looking for some delicious salmon recipes, be sure to check out our recipe section.
Best Way: Use An Instant Read Thermometer
The best, most reliable way to know your salmon is done is to use an instant read digital thermometer.
An instant read thermometer is a critical tool in the kitchen.
It will save you from overcooking fish and meat. I even use it to determine when banana bread is done.
- This one is less than $15 and is quick and accurate.
- This one is lightening fast and dead accurate. It is an excellent investment if you cook often.
To use your instant read thermometer to check the salmon for doneness, insert the tip into the thickest part of the fish. Make sure you are in the fillets center and not touching the pan.
You May Like: Which Is Better Coho Or Sockeye Salmon
Baked Salmon Should Be A Household Staple Like Roast Chicken We’ll Walk You Through Common Mistakes That Can Make For So
I picked up my love for salmon at a pretty young age. Spending my childhood years in a small island town in Washington state meant I was as likely to find fish at a cookout as hamburgers or hot dogs. A family friend even used to catch salmon from his backyard stream and grill it up on the spot!
Even though I now live in the Midwest, I was determined to learn how to properly cook salmon as good as the stuff I remember from my coastal childhood. To master my salmon cooking technique, I first had to avoid some key mistakes.
Do You Need To Turn Fish Over
Some folks in China have been making a claim that salmon can be cooked without turning it over. Theyre claiming that salmon doesnt need to be flipped once its in a pan. The claim comes from a chef who suggests that a certain technique will produce a superior result, and he named this method as sous vide. There have been claims that if you put the salmon in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before cooking it, that it will cook perfectly without being turned over. This technique has been around for a while, and though it has been effective for some people, it has not been backed up by science. So what is actually the best way to cook salmon? While turning it over is not mandatory, its certainly recommended. It will help it cook evenly. Its not recommended to cook salmon above 140 degrees. This will destroy the natural flavors of the fish. Instead, you want to cook it above 130 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
Recommended Reading: Endless Shrimp At Red Lobster
Best Easy Healthy Baked Salmon
This is the very Best Easy Healthy Baked Salmon! Full of delicious lemon and garlic flavors, baked to flaky, tender perfection and on the table in just 30 minutes!
- 4salmon fillets-about 6 ounces each
- ½teaspoonsalt-or to taste
- ¼teaspooncracked black pepper-just a pinch if using finely ground black pepper
- 2teaspoonsminced garlic
- 1teaspoonItalian herb seasoning blend -OR herbs de provence, or ¼ teaspoon each dried thyme, parsley, oregano, and basil
Heres A Few Extra Tips
- Season the fillet right before baking. For chicken and beef, its better to marinate it for at least an hour to let the flavors absorb. But for seafood, seasonings can draw out moisture much quicker. So for extra moist results, season right before sliding the pan into the oven.
- Its best not to remove salmon skin. Whether you like salmon skin or not, dont remove it before baking. It will help protect the fillet from the pans heat, cook the salmon more evenly, and retain its delicious juices. Then once youre ready to serve, you can easily slide the skin right off.
- Dont rinse salmon with water. Just like chicken, dont wash your raw fish. It can increase your risk of contamination and spread to other surfaces of your kitchen such as the sink or countertop. Plus, the bacteria is killed once it cooks inside a hot oven.
- Remove it right before the timer goes off. Keep in mind that salmon will continue to cook as it rests. So if youre keeping a close eye on the time, taking it out right before its done is another way to prevent overcooking!
- Dont be alarmed by the white ooze! If you notice some white slimy substance on top of your baked salmon, dont panic. Its actually just a protein in the salmon called albumin that becomes solid when heated. The hotter salmon cooks, the more albumin will come out. So to prevent a thick white layer, cook your salmon at a gentle temperature.
Read Also: How Many Calories Are In Shrimp
Why I Love This Recipe:
Healthy You cant beat a fillet of perfectly cooked salmon next to a nice salad or roasted vegetables. Its delicious and leaves you feeling full of energy!
Easy Follow my step-by-step instructions and tips you wont believe how easy perfectly cooked salmon can be!
Versatile I have included three different seasoning options for you to choose from, and you can also choose to bake the salmon in foil or on a sheet pan.
Costco Stuffed Salmon In Air Fryer
You can also make air fryer Costco stuffed salmon. Here are the air fryer instructions:
You May Like: Best Fish Oil Supplement For Men
The Best Temperature For Baking Salmon
Heres how I determined what temperature is best for baking salmon.
- Generally when Im making individual pieces of salmon I turn my oven to 400 degrees F or 425 degrees F. Its the temperature youll find used for this Whole30 Salmon, Soy Ginger Salmon, and Balsamic Salmon. The smaller portions cook quickly and can stand a higher temperature.
- HOWEVER, I tried making a large side of baked salmon in foil at 400 degrees F and found that temperature a bit too aggressive.
- For my next round, I did baked salmon in foil at 350 degrees F. It took longer than Id hoped and didnt come out *as* moist as I knew it could be.
- The final winner: 375 degrees F for a 2-pound side of salmon.
- The baking time will vary based upon the size and thickness of your salmon. For example, I like to try to buy wild-caught salmon, which in our store usually means sockeye or coho based on inventory. These varieties are thinner and thus cook more quickly.
- If you are using farm-raised salmon , your side will likely be thicker and need more time.
What Happens If I Overcook Salmon
While it won’t be as tasty, overcooked fish is still plenty safe to eat, as long as it hasn’t been charred into charcoal. So if you find that you left it in the pan or oven too long, don’t fret! You can still eat it and you can try again, the next time you cook it.
ThermoPro Digital Meat Thermometer
Read Also: Seafood All You Can Eat
Can I Cook Salmon At 350
Cooking salmon at 350 degrees Fahrenheit is a great option because it is high in protein and healthy fats. It can be cooked in a oven, grill, or pan. However, some people are concerned about the heat from a grillLakewood Grill Salmon Can Cook At 350 degrees Fahrenheit
It All depends on your kitchen UtensilsThe key to cooking salmon at 350 degrees Fahrenheit is to have good kitchen Utensils. If you do not have good kitchen utensils then you will not be able to cook salmon at this temperature evenly.
Easy Baked Salmon Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for baked salmon recipes, what each one does, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Salmon I prefer wild-caught salmon, but you can use your favorite variety.
- Olive Oil Or avocado oil. Alternatively, melted butter can be delicious here as well.
- Lemon Juice Use fresh or jarred lemon juice.
- Garlic Crushed or minced. Use fresh garlic cloves if you like them crushed, or for minced garlic, you can mince it fresh or use the jarred kind.
- Herbs I use fresh dill and fresh parsley, but thyme would also go nicely. Dried herbs are not recommended, but if you really want to use them in a pinch, use 1/3 the amount of fresh.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Lemon slices Optional, but adds a nice flavor and presentation.
Don’t Miss: Deep Sea Fishing Trips Florida
Versatile Side Dishes With Baked Salmon
1. Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts: Roasting Brussels sprouts brings out their natural sweetness and pairs perfectly with the rich flavor of salmon.
2. Quinoa Salad with Feta and Mint: This light and refreshing salad is a great way to balance out a heavier entrée like baked salmon.
3. Kale Salad with Cranberries and Pecans: This hearty salad is full of flavor and texture, and it makes a perfect side dish for baked salmon.
4. Honey Balsamic Roasted Beets: Beets are a delicious and nutrient-rich vegetable, and they make a great side dish for salmon. This honey balsamic version is especially delicious.
5. Roasted Cauliflower: Roasting cauliflower is a great way to bring out its natural sweetness, and it makes a delicious and healthy side dish for salmon.
6. Lemon Asparagus: Asparagus is a great spring vegetable, and this lemon roasted version is a delicious and easy way to cook it. The lemon adds a bright and fresh flavor that pairs well with salmon.
7. Green Beans with Crispy Shallots: These green beans are crispy, salty, and delicious. The shallots add a nice flavor and crunch to the beans, and they pair well with salmon.
8. Quinoa Salad with Cranberries and Pecans: This salad is full of flavor and texture, and it makes a perfect side dish for baked salmon. The cranberries add a sweetness to the salad, and the pecans add a nice crunch.
First Of All Which Salmon Should I Buy
Valid question! If you’re looking to make the most ethical choice, keep Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch app handy with it you can search for the exact type of salmon that is available to you. Otherwise, go for the highest quality, freshest fish that fits in your budget. Don’t forget that the nice people behind the counter have so much knowledge to share with you they’ll know what’s freshest and most delicious, all you gotta do is ask!
Read Also: Eating Tuna Every Day Weight Loss
A Note About How Long To Cook Salmon:
According to the FDA, salmon should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145°. When working with good quality salmon, we tend to check for doneness with a fork rather than a thermometer. Once the salmon easily flakes with fork, it’s good to go! Just be sure you’re checking the thickest part of the fillet.
What Are The Five Types Of Salmon
Believe it or not, there are five main kinds of salmon. They can be small and weigh around five pounds, or they can grow to be enormous, weighing around 126 pounds!
Some kinds of salmon live in freshwater, some live in saltwater, and some live in both, depending on the season. The five main kinds of salmon are all of the Pacific variety.
- Sockeyesalmon is a red-colored fish and also happens to be lower in fat than other varieties. Its a popular variety and quite tasty.
- King or Chinooksalmon is very high in fat and super expensive. Youll probably only find this fish in high-end fish markets or fancy restaurants. It has a delightful texture, or mouthfeel to it.
- Pink salmon is a very small, pale variety of the fish. This kind of salmon is most often used in the canning process, and what youll find when you purchase cans of salmon.
- Chum salmon is a type thats most popular for its roe, or eggs. They are the kind of eggs that you see in sushi rolls. I think the name sounds gross, and would probably not buy it on its own but I guess you cant judge a fish by its name, right?
- Coho salmon is another popular type of fish and is milder in taste than other types of salmon. Its that silver salmon you most often see in photos of fishermen holding up a giant salmon for photographers, an I caught a fish THIS BIG kind of photos.
Recommended Reading: What Seasoning Is Good On Salmon
How To Make The Easiest Baked Salmon
Heres the directions to bake salmon
First thing is to gather your ingredients.
Combine the olive oil mixture and rub it on the salmon. Squeeze on some fresh lemon juice.
Lift the edges of the foil paper so the olive oil mixture will stay around the fish.
Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake 10-12 minutes on 425F .
How Long Does It Take To Bake Salmon
The length of time it takes to bake salmon will vary by the temperature you set in the oven and whether the salmon is the only ingredient on the sheet pan or not.
The great thing about salmon is that it pairs great with nearly everything, making it an easy ingredient for an all-in-one sheet pan meal.
You May Like: Christner’s Prime Steak & Lobster Menu
Ideas For Leftovers And Reheating
Cooked salmon can be eaten the next day!
- My favorite ways to enjoy leftover cooked salmon leftover are on top of a salad , scrambled with eggs, or mixed into a simple pasta. You could also use it in this recipe for Healthy Shrimp Scampi!
- Store cooked baked salmon in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.
- If youd like to reheat the salmon, be slow and gentle so that the salmon doesnt dry out. I recommend reheating individual portions, either in the microwave on low power, or in a skillet.
- To reheat in a skillet: Let the salmon come to room temperature. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium. Once it is hot, add the salmon and a splash of water, then immediately cover it. Let the salmon steam, just until it is heated through, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- To reheat in the microwave: Let the salmon come to room temperature. Gently warm on medium-low power, just until warmed through.
- You can freeze baked salmon. Remove it from the skin and freeze in an airtight container for up to two months. Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. From here, you can use it in any recipe that calls for canned salmon, toss it into a pasta, or use it to make this easy Salmon Patty recipe.
What Temperature To Bake Salmon
With an unlimited supply of salmon recipes on the internet at different times and temperatures, it can be scary to go out on a limb, sprinkle your favorite seasoning on top and attempt to bake it.
This post will share how long and at what temperature to bake salmon for the most common oven settings at 350, 375, 400, and 425 degrees Fahrenheit as well as share tips for achieving that flaky texture we all love.
You May Like: Wholesale Oysters With Pearls Usa