Health Benefits Of Baked Salmon
- Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which can help reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and decrease risk factors for diseases.
- Its a great source of protein, potassium, and selenium, a mineral that protects bone health, improves thyroid function, and reduces the risk of cancer.
- Salmon can also help reduce the risk of heart disease, aid in weight control, and protect brain health.*
How Do You Cook Salmon In The Oven At 350
What to Season salmon with for a healthy and delicious meal is an open question that has been asked by many. Some people prefer to season their salmon with fresh herbs or spices, while others use canned or processed ingredients.
It really depends on what kind of salmon you plan on cooking and what flavors you are looking for.
Oven Baked Salmon Fillets
Oven Baked Salmon Fillets are perfect for a weeknight dinner as well as any special occasion. Only a few ingredients and little time are needed to make this salmon dinner!
Perfectly seasoned, juicy and tasty oven baked salmon dinner is a keeper.
4 reasons to make oven baked salmon fillets
Oven baked salmon fillets are definitely a proof that healthy recipe can taste delicious too. Just give it a try!
Oven baked salmon fillets ingredients:
How do you bake salmon fillets?
Simply place the seasoned fillets onto a baking tray and bake until they are cooked through. That is it.
I also lined my tray with baking paper, which makes the cleaning easier. You can also use a silicone mat or a non-stick tray.
How long do you cook salmon in the oven?
Please note that the time will always vary. This will depend on the size of your fillets and also on your oven .
Salmon fillets cook relatively quickly so its important to keep an eye on them. These fillets weighed about 5 ounces per piece. I baked them at 400°F/200°C for about 15 minutes. If yours are not ready after 15 minutes, let them in longer.
You May Like: Red Lobster Coupon Codes 2021
How To Check For Doneness
I buy the same size piece from the store so Ive learned what the timing is, but if you crack the oven door and look, youll see when the fish has changed from the deeper orange and shiny/glossy exterior, to the cooked lighter orange color and more opaque exterior. Once the shiny exterior is gone, it should be done within a minute or two, and you can double check with a thermometer.
How To Make This Recipe
Start by seasoning the salmon steaks on both sides with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Be sure to sprinkle both from at least 6 inches over the salmon for more even coverage. I also like to season our fish with a little garam masala which adds a wonderful warmth to the dish, but simple salt and pepper will work just fine and let the meat shine through with its own wonderful flavor.
To cook the salmon steaks, my favorite method is to heat a large skillet over medium-high heat just because I can do it year round and it’s quick and easy. But the same timing and approach works if you want to grill salmon steaks, which is fun when the weather is nice.
Start by heating either a large pan or grill. Starting the salmon on a hot surface helps it to sear better, which also helps the salmon not stick to the surface.
When the pan is hot, add a little olive oil , then arrange the steaks in the pan and let them sear without moving. They need to cook between 3-5 minutes on the first side and should release pretty easily when they are ready to be flipped.
Carefully flip them to the other side with a large spatula and let them cook another 3-5 minutes until opaque in the center. Be careful not to let the fish overcook or it will be dry. I like to stop just shy of fully opaque because the residual heat finishes cooking the salmon while it rests before we eat.
Read Also: Chicken Of The Sea Albacore Tuna
Let The Visual Cues Guide You
When pan-searing, the bulk of the cooking takes place while the salmon is skin-side down. After its been cooking for a few minutes, youll start to notice the color of the fillet slowly begin to change. Starting from the bottom, where the skin touches the pan, and working its way upward along the sides of the fillets, youll see the flesh lighten from deep, dark pink to a much more pale color.
This change in the color of the flesh will act as your indicator for how the cooking is progressing. Once the color change has moved up about three-quarters of the way from the bottom, its time to flip. Since the bulk of cooking has already happened, the salmon will cook for a couple minutes more after flipping it flesh-side down. What youll get is a tender and flaky piece of salmon, cooked perfectly to medium, with super-crispy skin.
Take the salmon fillets out of the refrigerator.
Tips For Best Results
The type of salmon you use matters Types of salmon vary wildly in terms of eating experience. Farmed species tend to be fattier than wild-caught salmon as a rule of thumb, but even wild varieties vary tremendously from species to species. I discuss this in more detail below, plus my recommendations.
Try to get a center cut piece Ask the fishmonger to cut you a center cut portion, if possible, that is even in thickness. This will help the fish cook more evenly, instead of having some overcooked or undercooked parts.
Aim for medium Salmon is fully cooked at 140F, but can generally be eaten safely at 125F. This gives you a more moist interior and delicious eating experience.
Because I cook this fish so often, Ive experimented with many different temperatures and cooking times. I find that oven baked salmon cooks best at higher temperatures for less time, and gives you moist pieces that flake gently. You can see the moisture shimmering on these salmon flakes right here:
You May Like: Cabo San Lucas Fishing Calendar
What Is The Best Cooking Method For Salmon
The best cooking method for salmon is to cook it in a crockpot. This will ensure that the salmon is cooked through without any offensive flavors or textures. Salmon is a popular dish that can be prepared in many ways. One cooking method that is often recommended for salmon is frying. This method of cooking produces a crispy texture and means that the salmon does not require as much seasoning as other methods.
Baked Salmon Ingredients & Cooking Tools:
First off, lets talk grocery shopping. To make this baked salmon recipe, you will need:
- Salmon: When it comes to purchasing salmon, I recommend looking for filets that are:
- Good-quality: Its important to me that any salmon I buy is wild-caught and sustainably harvested. I recommend looking for Pacific or Alaskan Salmon there are many varieties of salmon to choose from. In general, look for salmon whose skin is bright silvery, and whose flesh is shiny and moist and brightly-colored. Also avoid salmon that smells too fishy it should smell more like the saltwater of the ocean.
- Skin-on: Even if youre not a fan of salmon skin, I highly recommend purchasing your filets skin-on if nothing else because it will help prevent the salmon from drying out while cooking. You can always eat around the skin.
You will also need :
You May Like: Shrimp Kabob Recipes On The Grill
What Is The 10 Minute Rule For Cooking Fish
When it comes to salmon, there are a few things that you should keep in mind. One is that you should season the fish with salt before cooking.
Seasoning helps keep the fish from sticking to its food and also gives it flavor. Another thing to consider is what type of seasoning you want to use.
Some people prefer garlic, ginger, or black pepper while others like46 them all together. Ultimately, what works for you will be the best seasoning for your salmon.
Baked Salmon Should Be A Household Staple Like Roast Chicken We’ll Walk You Through Common Mistakes That Can Make For So
I picked up my love for salmon at a pretty young age. Spending my childhood years in a small island town in Washington state meant I was as likely to find fish at a cookout as hamburgers or hot dogs. A family friend even used to catch salmon from his backyard stream and grill it up on the spot!
Even though I now live in the Midwest, I was determined to learn how to properly cook salmon as good as the stuff I remember from my coastal childhood. To master my salmon cooking technique, I first had to avoid some key mistakes.
Also Check: River Oyster Bar Happy Hour
Baked Salmon In Foil So Many Ways To Love Thee
Ive cooked baked salmon in foil dozens of different ways. While all you really need for a satisfying piece of baked salmon is salt, pepper, and olive oil, the foil method is easy to adapt to different herbs and ingredients. You have plenty of options to keep it exciting and new.
- Baked Salmon in Foil with Lemon and Dill. Follow the recipe below, swapping sprigs of dill for the rosemary. You can also use parsley or green onion or both or whatever other herbs in your refrigerator are threatening to turn brown.
- Baked Salmon in Foil with Lemon and Butter. No fresh herbs? No problem. Leave them out, and brush the salmon with melted butter instead . I dont recommend dried herbs, as they take away from the freshness of the fish.
- Garlic Butter Salmon in Foil. Is there anything on my dinner plate that these two ingredients dont make better? I didnt think so.
- Baked Salmon in Pesto. Omit the rosemary. Smother the top of the salmon with pesto and arrange the lemon on top prior to closing the foil packet around it.
- Baked Salmon with Lemon and Rosemary. The version I am sharing with you today!
How Long Should I Bake Salmon At 400
There is no definitive answer to this question as different people have different opinions on how long they should bake salmon at 400 degrees. Some people believe that the higher temperature will create atimed baking perfection and result in a more succulent and delicious fish, while others may disagree and suggest that the higher temperature might not be enough to produce an evenly cooked salmon. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference.
Don’t Miss: Malibu Seafood Fresh Fish Market & Patio Cafe
Trust And The Waiting Game
This is arguably the hardest part of cooking pan-seared salmon. Once the fish hits the pan, the very best course of action is to step away and let it do its thing. It might take some serious willpower, but you need to trust the process no touching, no poking or prodding, and no moving the fillet around. Youll be tempted to lift the fish or move it around the pan to see how its coming along, but the very best thing you can do is to keep your hands off and wait.
What Are The Five Types Of Salmon
Believe it or not, there are five main kinds of salmon. They can be small and weigh around five pounds, or they can grow to be enormous, weighing around 126 pounds!
Some kinds of salmon live in freshwater, some live in saltwater, and some live in both, depending on the season. The five main kinds of salmon are all of the Pacific variety.
- Sockeyesalmon is a red-colored fish and also happens to be lower in fat than other varieties. Its a popular variety and quite tasty.
- King or Chinooksalmon is very high in fat and super expensive. Youll probably only find this fish in high-end fish markets or fancy restaurants. It has a delightful texture, or mouthfeel to it.
- Pink salmon is a very small, pale variety of the fish. This kind of salmon is most often used in the canning process, and what youll find when you purchase cans of salmon.
- Chum salmon is a type thats most popular for its roe, or eggs. They are the kind of eggs that you see in sushi rolls. I think the name sounds gross, and would probably not buy it on its own but I guess you cant judge a fish by its name, right?
- Coho salmon is another popular type of fish and is milder in taste than other types of salmon. Its that silver salmon you most often see in photos of fishermen holding up a giant salmon for photographers, an I caught a fish THIS BIG kind of photos.
Recommended Reading: Different Types Of Fish To Eat
How Long Do You Bake Salmon At 425
The answer to this question depends on a few factors, including the oven and the salmon. Some ovens will cook fish at a lower temperature for a shorter amount of time, while others will take longer. The average time it takes to cook salmon at 425 degrees is about 20-25 minutes, so it doesnt really matter which oven you use.
How To Shop For Salmon
Shopping for salmon is easy. Just follow these simple tips:
- If you can smell it, make sure it doesnt smell fishy. Fresh salmon shouldnt have any kind of fishy smell.
- Avoid fresh salmon that appears dried out or has brown spots or bruising.
- The flesh should be vibrantly colored and not anemic or pale looking.
- If youre purchasing frozen or pre-packaged salmon, make sure there is a tight seal around the packaging and that it isnt broken anywhere or open.
- If youre not sure, read the label and stay away from anything that says color-added or has too many ingredients listed.
- You can always ask a fishmonger for advice on the various types of salmon if one is available.
Also Check: Shrimp Cholesterol American Heart Association
Is It Better To Cook Salmon In Foil Or Not
Cooking salmon in foil is a popular option because it can help to hold the fish tightly against the pan, preventing it from sticking. However, some people argue that this method isnt as healthy as cooking the salmon in its natural surroundings.
Cooking salmon in foil can have several benefits over cooking it in the oven. First, foil helps to prevent bacteria from growing, which could lead to bad health outcomes for the fish. Additionally, foil can help to create a crispy texture when cooked, which is important for seafood lovers looking for a tender and juicy meal.
Eating Fresh Salmon In Alaska
I have vivid memories of my family vacationing in Alaska when I was fifteen years old. We were camping in a rented Winnebago RV, seeing the sites, and fly fishing. One day, we arrived at our campground late, around 9pm. It was still light out, so dad grabbed his fly rod and headed to the nearby riverbank, just a short walk from our campsite. About 10 minutes later, he returned with a big, beautiful salmon!
Mom quickly melted some butter, added fresh lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. She placed the fish on a large piece of foil, drizzled the sauce over the top, and folded up the foil to enclose the fish. She then put it on the grill and cooked it just until it was medium-rare. OMG, it was sooo good! Moist, tender, fresh, and full of flavor.
Don’t Miss: Cook Salmon On The Bbq
Do You Eat The Skin On Salmon
The answer is yes, some people do. The skin is a valuable part of the fish and it can be cooked into a delicious dish.
Here are some reasons why:
The Best Pan For The Job
While its certainly not the only way, we prefer sticking with a large stainless steel or cast iron skillet when cooking pan-seared salmon make sure its a pan thats large and wide enough to accommodate the fillets without overcrowding. And because the best results happen when the fish is cooked on a super-hot surface, its best to skip the nonstick cookware this time around.
You May Like: Fishing Charters Ft Walton Beach
How To Bake Salmon Steaks In Oven
You can bake salmon steaks in the oven by following these simple steps: